Work Permit Instructions

Important Note: Students may not work until the actual work permit has been issued. 

Approving Work Permits

Student attendance, discipline and course history records will be reviewed. The minimum requirements are:

  • Minimum 2.0 GPA
  • No more than three unexcused absences
  • No excessive excused absences
  • Fewer than three tardies
  • No excessive disciplinary action taken
    If the student meets all of requirements, the work permit will be issued. If student does not meet these minimum requirements, they will need to meet with their Assistant Principal. In some cases, the student will need to show improvement before a work permit will be approved or they may have work limitations. In addition, if student does not continue to meet the requirements during the school year when the work permit was issued, the permit may be revoked.

Steps to Obtaining a Work Permit

  • Read and sign the (B1-1) Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor and Request for Work Permit form. You may click here for the form, or pick one up in the Administration Building.
  • Return the completed form to Mrs. Goepfert in the Administration Building.
  • Students must pick up the work permit in person since it requires their signature.
  • Work Permits may take 1-2 days to process.

Entertainment Work Permits

  •  If you need to obtain an entertainment work permit, please visit the Department of Industrial Relations Website  and follow the instructions.  Applications for Permission to Work in the Entertainment Industry can be found here


Q: If I've graduated from high school, do I need a work permit?

A: Once a minor is no longer subject to the state's compulsory education laws, he/she is not considered a minor for purposes of the state's child labor laws (labor code 1286[c]). Therefore, a high school graduate does not require a permit and may work in any occupation.

Q: If I have more than one job, do I need more than one work permit?

A: Yes, you will need a separate work permit for each job that you hold.

Q: When do work permits expire?

A: Summer work permits expire five days after the beginning of the next school year. Work permits issued during the school year, providing you remain with the same employer, expire five days after the following school year begins.

Q: Do I need to get a new work permit if I'm working now?

A: No, a new work permit is not needed for your current job. Just remember that work permits expire at five days after the following school year begins.

Q: Can my parent/guardian bring in my Request for Work Permit and be issued a work permit?

A: No, you must bring in your Request for Work Permit after it has been completed. The work permit will require the student's signature before it may be issued. The student must be present when the work permit is issued.

Q: Can I start working when my employer signs the Request for Work Permit?

A: No, you must have the work permit issued first before you can begin working.

Q: What ages are required to have a work permit?

A: Any student under the age of 18 who has not graduated from high school must have a work permit on file.

Q: Can I get a work permit at my high school?

A: Yes, during the school year, work permits are issued at all high schools. In the summer, Poway Adult School issues work permits.
It is the goal of the Poway Unified School District that this website is accessible to all users. You can view our accessibility statement here.  Please contact our Web Administrator for any accessibility issues at

The Poway Unified School District (PUSD) is an equal opportunity employer/program and is committed to an active Nondiscrimination Program. PUSD prohibits discrimination, harassment, intimidation, and bullying based on actual or perceived ancestry, age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, nationality, race or ethnicity, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or association with a person or a group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics. For more information, please contact the Title IX/Equity Compliance Officer, Associate Superintendent of Personnel Support Services, Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128-3406, 858-521-2800, extension 2761.

Poway Unified School District, 15250 Avenue of Science, San Diego, CA 92128-3406