Advanced Placement at PHS
Poway High offers a wide variety of Advanced Placement courses. As outlined by the College Board, Advanced Placement courses offer students the opportunity to take a college-level course in a high-school setting. All AP courses at Poway have been certified and audited by the College Board, and are current in their requirements and preparation.
The rigor of AP courses provides students with a setting that will prepare them for future college courses. In addition, students who score sufficiently high on the AP Exams can earn college credits for their efforts.
Students interested in enrolling in an AP course should speak to their counselor and current subject area teacher for more information. While Poway High follows the College Board's open access and equity policy, several courses involve summer coursework to prepare for the class. Information about this coursework is given during registration in the spring trimester.
AP Testing Information 2019-2020
College Board® will be launching big changes in 2019-2020 for AP®
- All AP® class students will be able to join an online version of their AP® Course where they can access resources! (Including access to Khan Academy resources designed for AP®) All for Free! All using College Board® vetted materials including test questions!
- All students will 'Join' their online AP® Group section via MyAP at http://myap.collegeboard.org with a class specific JOIN CODE obtained from their AP® teacher at the start of the school course.
- Students who choose to take the AP Exams in May, will follow TWO steps to complete Exam Registration:
- Pay for their AP Exam fees by the deadlines (attached*) for their courses through the APTS website for our school. *No more paying at the finance window*
- Once payment is confirmed, students will receive a confirmation email with a join code to register for the Exam ONLY section on MyAP.
- Students will not need to bubble in personal information on exam materials on or before exam day; instead students will have personalized materials pre-made based on the information they provided on MyAP!
- We will NOT offer Standby testing any longer, so plan accordingly. This will be true for every high school that offers AP exams.
Questions about Advanced Placement
- Questions about taking Advanced Placement courses can be directed to your counselor.
- AP Course Time Commitment Calculator - These charts will help calculate the time commitment you are signing up for when signing up for multiple AP courses.
- AP Course FAQs - Frequently asked questions and answers regarding AP Courses at PHS.
- AP Course Progression - AP course progression and recommendations for success in AP courses.
Advanced Placement Courses and Instructors for 2019-2020
|AP Biology 3-4
|AP Calculus AB 1-2
|AP Calculus BC 1-2
|AP Chemistry 3-4
|AP Computer Science Principles 1-2
|AP English Language 1-2 (APEL) -11th grade
|AP English Literature 1-2 - 12th grade
|AP Environmental Science 1-2
||Van Pelt, Sharla
|AP European History 1-2 - 10th grade
|AP French Language 7-8
|AP German Language 7-8
||Von Ehrenstein-Smith, Marion
|AP Government & Politics 1-2 -12th grade
|AP Human Geography 1-2
|AP Physics C:Mech 1-2
|AP Psychology 1-2
|AP Spanish Language 1-2
|AP Statistics 1-2
|AP Studio Art: 2D 1-2 (Photography)
|AP Studio Art: 3D 1-2 (Ceramics)
|AP Studio Art: Drawing 1-2
|AP U.S. History 1-2 (APUSH) -11th grade