Parents/guardians of children with a 5th birthday between September 2nd and December 2nd do not need to place their child’s name on the TK Interest List. Your child is eligible for TK and the Interest List is not necessary. Please enroll your child in TK at your school of residence during the new student enrollment period in May. Please check your school’s website for specific dates and times.
For students born between June 1st and September 1st and whose parents would like them to attend TK rather than Kindergarten, please follow these steps:
- Enroll your student in kindergarten at your school of residence during the first week of May.
- Once enrolled and your student’s birthdate is verified, the school will give you instructions on how to place your student’s name on the TK Interest List later in May.
- Students will be placed on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- Please note, due to increased numbers of students required to enroll in TK because of their age, space is limited. Students will be seated on a space-available basis according to the TK Interest List and possibly not at their home school
- Interest List placement is NOT a guarantee that your child will get a TK seat.
- The TK Interest List is open only to students who live in the PUSD boundaries.
- The student is returned automatically to his/her school of residence at the beginning of the following school year.
Students who participate in TK will attend school daily on a half-day schedule, including lunch. Contact your neighborhood school for specific hours. TK students are eligible for Extended Student Services (ESS) for before- and after-school care.
According to California Education Code 48000, if your child has his or her 5th birthday on or before September 1, 2020, he/she may enroll in Kindergarten. If your child has his/her 5th birthday between September 2 and December 2, 2020, he/she will be enrolled in Transitional Kindergarten. PUSD is aware of the amendment to California Education Code 48000(c) that permits school districts the option to enroll students who turn 5 after December 2 to be admitted to the TK program. After a review of the impact this option would have on our District, we enroll only students who meet the cut-off dates and not children who turn 5 after December 2 into TK.
Transitional Kindergarten is the first of a two-year kindergarten program that uses a modified kindergarten curriculum that is age and developmentally appropriate.
The following chart is helpful to determine enrollment in Kindergarten or Transitional Kindergarten:
||5th birthday, Sept. 2, 2019 to Sept. 1, 2020
| Transitional Kindergarten (TK)
|| 5th birthday, Sept. 2, 2020 to Dec. 2, 2020
| Kindergarten OR Transitional Kindergarten
(space available, first come first serve)
| 5th birthday, June 1, 2020 to Sept. 1, 2020
Each elementary school will host its own TK/K information event this spring. Please check your school’s website for details and further information. Kindergarten / TK enrollment occurs in early May at our elementary school sites. Contact school for specific hours and days for registration or look for more information to come in April on this website, or on your school’s website in the spring.
Should you have any questions or need clarification, please contact your school office.
2019 VALLEY SPANISH INSTRUCTION TK: Valley starts the process for Spanish instruction TK class in February. Please visit the VALLEY Website for details.