Meadowbrook Middle School ASES
Before and After-School Activities
858-748-0802 x 2122
Terry Tu, TOSA Coordinator, email@example.com
, 858-748-0802 x 2122
Laura Farace, ASES Program Lead, firstname.lastname@example.org
- As I’m sure you realize our program is very full. In fact, registration for ASES exploded this year, exceeding everyone’s expectations. As a result, we have not been able to provide services to everyone who is interested in our program. In order to meet the education code of the grant that funds ASES we must adhere to the principles of this grant which stipulates that priority must be given to students who stay the full duration of time in ASES; this means five days/week until 6:00 PM. Furthermore, if a child checks out before 4:15 their attendance does not count.Please keep in mind that attendance is monitored closely via computer scanning, and students who fail to meet the four day minimum will be dropped.
We appreciate your support by helping to remind your child that it is imperative that they scan in and out everyday.
Before School Program
: We would like to remind our families the attendance requirements for the morning program. Students MUST
scan in before 6:40am, Mon, Wed-Fri. On Tuesdays, students MUST
scan in before 7:15am! In addition students must attend the morning program 4 days a week.
The grant that funds ASES does not recognize an excused absence. According to the grant, a student is present or they are not. We certainly understand that illnesses and emergencies occur, and we are not
looking to drop a child from the program that has an occasional isolated absence or who is absent from both school and ASES due to illness.
However, it is necessary to reiterate that absences from ASES due to a doctor’s appointment, a dentist appointment, sports, private lessons, or any other personal commitment cannot be excused and will count against your child’s attendance. While I truly appreciate your efforts to notify me of your child’s absence, please understand that I cannot excuse an absence. Rest assured that each day we are checking our absence list with Meadowbrook’s attendance report, and are aware of students whose ASES absence coincides with an excused school absence, therefore it is not necessary to contact us concerning your child’s absence
Lateness: Our program ends at 6:00pm.
We can, and will stay for a short period of time after that with your student.
School Year 2016-17
The ASES (After School Safety & Education) Program is free
and provides a fun, safe, stimulating environment for students whose parents cannot be home when their children return from school. Studies show that participation in the ASES Program increases students’ attachment to their schools, improves test scores, and keeps kids out of trouble.
We are pleased to offer a free
before and after-school program. In accordance with the intent of the state legislation that provides funding for the Poway Unified School District’s After School and Safety Program (ASESP), it is expected that students attend the after-school program every day for the full range of hours offered, 2:25-6:00 PM. We are bound by the Education Code of the grant to give priority to students who can stay the full duration of time.
The California ASES grant that funds this free program requires families to document any late arrival (after 6:00 AM) in the morning, or early release (before 6:00 PM) in the afternoon. The PUSD policy requires that parents or students document the appropriate reason for late arrival/early release on the daily attendance sheets
Review of ASES rules that align with MBMS rules throughout the school day:
- Rude language is not tolerated.
- No cell phone use before 3:30 each day. If students have an emergency, they may contact an ASES staff for use of a phone.
- Gum is not allowed on the MBMS campus, before, during, or after school.
- When an ASES student fails to follow MBMS/ASES policies they will receive a citation. Students are expected to give a copy to their parents and ASES retains a copy. After a third citation, I call home to conference with a parent. A continued violation can result in suspension from the ASES.
- Bells during ASES indicate a transition time, as follows:
2:25 – end of regular school day
2:35 – ASES activity begins; student is scanned in for attendance and is in a supervised area
3:30 – end of first ASES activity and students move directly to their next activity.
. The sports program does not include any “cuts.” Each season typically runs for six weeks. Practices are held M-Th 3:30-4:30
. We ask students to attend at least 75% of the practices to participate in the District events.
The program is centered in the school library
. This means that the library is open until 4:00 PM every school day! The computer lab is available for use five days a week where students can also complete their homework assignments. In addition we provide Compass Learning when has proven to help students achieve a higher level of academic success!! Students may work on their homework at a time that works best with their other interests and their individual needs. Occasionally, a student may even use the library the entire time in order to complete a large project. Our goal is to have students go home with their homework completed without sacrificing their involvement in extracurricular activities.
Students who stay on campus after 2:30 must be involved in one of the scheduled activities or with a teacher or staff member. Students may not leave campus and then return unless accompanied by a parent/guardian.
What does your child’s time at the after-school program look like?
What can parents do to help us be successful?
- The dismissal bell for school rings at 2:25. Students have 5 minutes to get to one of the activities. Students may not loiter around campus.
- The first period of activities is 2:25-3:30.
- The second period of activities is 3:35-4:30.
- Snack Time is 4:35-4:45 A free, nutritious snack is served during this time.
- The third period of activities is 4:45-6:00.
- Report to the Front Gate to check out your child. The staff member at the gate will radio for your child. You are always welcome to enter the campus to join your child or see what activity they have been doing.
- Please remind your child that scanning in and out is required every day. This is how we track attendance and it is vital that the most accurate attendance data is maintained.
- If someone other than yourself or one of the people you designated on the registration form will be picking up your child, please send in a signed note with the specific information. Your child gives it to a staff member. Email is also acceptable.
- Know your child’s friends! Sometimes a student does not come to our program but goes home after school with a friend and forgets to inform their parent. If you know the name(s) of their friend(s), we may be able to help you locate your child.
- If possible, send in an extra snack with your child. At this age, food is always on their mind! It seems like they just ate, are eating, or are thinking about what they will eat next!
I appreciate your support and feedback concerning our ASES program. Please feel free to contact me through email (email@example.com
) or by phone: 858-748-0802 x 2122
ASES TOSA Coordinator
ASES Program Lead
Please note that all activities and sports are subject to change or cancellation based on attendance, advisors, or funds.
All updates will be posted on the MBMS website.