Students may not work until the actual work permit has been issued.
Approving Work Permits
Student attendance, discipline and course history records will be reviewed.
The minimum requirements are (all within the current school year):
- Minimum 2.0 GPA with no D's or F's
- Less than 3 unexcused absences
- No excessive excused absences
- Less than 3 tardies
- No excessive disciplinary action taken
If everything is satisfactory, the work permit will be issued. If you are planning to work more than 36 hours per week (must be at least 16 years old), see Ms. Bloomfield in the Wolverine Center for additional requirements. If you do not meet these minimum requirements, you need to meet with an area administrator to sign a behavior contract prior to the issuance of a work permit if one is authorized. In some cases, students will need to show improvement before a work permit will be approved or will have work limitations. In addition, if you do not meet these minimum requirements after being issued a work permit, it may be revoked.
Steps To Obtaining A Work Permit
Work permits may take 1-2 days to process, so plan accordingly.
- Read and sign the Work Permit Instructions and the (B1-1) Statement of Intent to Employ a Minor form.
- Return these two completed forms to Ms. Bloomfield in the Wolverine Center.
- Students must pick up the work permit since it requires their signature.
If you are interested in work experience credits, please see Mrs. Rankin in Room A104 for more information.
Entertainment Work Permits
If you need to obtain an entertainment work permit, download this form
and follow the procedures listed on the document. When obtaining school authorities signatures, please return the form to Ms. Bloomfield for processing.
The local Division of Labor Standards Enforcement office is located at:
7575 Metropolitan Drive, Suite 210
San Diego, CA 92108
For more information on entertainment work permits, click here