Gates and School Safety: Student safety is a priority at Turtleback Elementary. The gates will be locked daily Monday - Thursday from 8:10 am- 2:30 pm and on Friday 8:10 am to 12:55 pm.
Remember to sign in and out in the office if you are planning to volunteer during the day. Students cannot be dropped off for school earlier than 7:40 a.m. at the front of school.
Please remind your children that NO
student may leave the school grounds during the school day without first being signed out through the office by a parent or guardian.
ARRIVAL TO SCHOOL
Morning Drop Off
- · If you plan to use the horseshoe portion of the front parking lot to drop off your child in the morning, please use the far right lane and pull forward as far as you can.
- · Students should be ready to exit quickly on the passenger side of the car.
- · Parents should stay behind the steering wheel so we can keep traffic moving quickly and safely.
- · If your family needs more time to say good bye or to gather school belongings, please parkyour car on the street or in the parking lot and walk your child in.
- · You may NOT park at any time along the red curb in the front of the school, whether you stay in your car or not.
- · In both the morning and afternoon, parking along the red curb in front of the administration building is reserved for school buses only.
If it is raining when students arrive at school, they go directly to the MPR.
Once students arrive at school, they may not leave the campus or playground during school hours without permission from the office. Students must be checked out in the office by a parent or guardian.
During school, students are asked to:
- walk quietly through the halls so
- not to disturb classes at work.
- not to “cut-through” the library to come out another door.
- not to bounce balls in the halls or against the walls of the school.
DISMISSAL FROM SCHOOL
- · Parents of first through fifth grade students may use the “drive through” service in thehorseshoe, but we need you to stay with your car so we can keep the line moving forward
- · Kindergarten parents need to park in the lot or on the street and walk to the gates to reunite with their child by 2:20 p.m. in front of the Kindergarten gates. Kindergarten parents should not park and leave their car in the horseshoe.
- · If you want to meet your child at the school gates, you need to arrive early enough to get a spot in the lot or park on the street and walk in.
- · Many parents choose to avoid our parking lot traffic and pick up their child at the High Country West Country Club or some other alternative meeting site.
Your cooperation and courtesy are greatly appreciated. The safety of your child is our #1 priority!
SAFETY TO & FROM SCHOOL
When walking to and from school it is important for students to follow all traffic rules. When coming to or leaving school, students should always stay on the crosswalks and sidewalks. At no time is it safe to walk or run through the parking lot. At no time should students play in the front areas of the school which include the flagpole areas, cement planters, parking lot, and inner courtyard. Unsupervised playground activities should NOT occur before or after school hours.
Parents are reminded to obey all parking lot guidelines to ensure safety in the parking lot for all students. The front parking lot is for staff parking only. All parents are to park on Turtleback Road if you leave your car.
For the first week or so of school, traffic around the neighborhood and in the parking lot can be a bit chaotic, but we have a system that works quite efficiently once everyone learns and follows the guidelines detailed below. Take note that on early release Fridays (1:00) and rainy days, traffic can be more congested, so please plan to arrive early so you aren’t flustered looking for a parking spot.
In order to keep everyone safe, we must insist that you follow the directional instructions of our Student Safety Patrol officers and staff members
Unattended vehicles parked in yellow zones will receive a parking citation. There is no parking allowed in the red zones at any time.
PARKING LOT ETIQUETTE
PARKING IN THE PARKING LOT
- Please drive slowly.
- Follow the Golden Rule with other drivers and staff members. Remember that you are not the only one in a hurry.
- Please do NOT get out of the car to assist or escort your child.
- Pull up close to the car in front of you.
- Please refrain from using cell phones while driving in the parking lot.
- Busses have priority. Please be cognizant of their presence and try to make their entrance and exit as easy as possible.
Thanks for your cooperation! Remember -- Courtesy is Contagious!
- Please do not park in the reserved spaces.
- Park in one of the parking spaces, not in the traffic flow area at any time of the day.
- If you park in the red zone or in the handicapped parking and leave your vehicle, you are likely to be ticketed by the San Diego Police Department or the Poway Sherriff's Department.
Only students in grades 3, 4, and 5 may ride a bicycle to school. Children must wear a helmet, provide a lock for the bicycle, and follow safety rules/laws. A permission form, obtained from the office, must be completed and on file with the office for students who wish to ride their bikes to school. Bikes must be walked once on school grounds. No rollerblades, razors, scooters, skateboards or motorized scooters are allowed on campus.
- Bicycle riding is allowed for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. Permission slips are available in the office.
- Bicyclists are required to wear safety helmets.
- Bicycles are to be walked on school grounds. School grounds include, but are not limited to Turtleback Road from Edgemoor to the end of the parking lot.
- Bicycles need to be walked to designated area and locked to the bike racks prior to the start of school.
- Bicycle riders need to ride in a safe manner. Bicycle privileges will be revoked from anyone who is not riding safely to and from school.
- Skateboards, motorized scooters, roller blades and other shoes with wheels are not permitted as a means of traveling to or from school.
- Tennis shoes with wheels are not allowed on campus.
(including shoes with built-in wheels) and skateboarding are not allowed on campus at any time.
VISITORS AND VOLUNTEERS
Board Policy 4.415 prohibits volunteers on campus until they have completed a background check and had a TB Skin Test. A TB Skin Test schedule was sent home in the first day packets. All visitors and cleared volunteers must report to the school office, sign-in, and wear a badge/nametag while on campus. The PTA keeps track of volunteer hours and reports them to Palomar Council. If you are planning on volunteering and have not completed the proper paperwork, please contact the Office and remember that you may not volunteer until this is completed. CLICK HERE for volunteer forms and instructions.
Thanks for your cooperation! Remember -- Courtesy is Contagious!