As you prepare for the new school year, consider these ways to help your child do well in school:
- Show you care. Your child needs hugs and words of support. Ask your child, "What did you learn today?"
- Read, read, read. Read with your child or have her or him read every day. Make it fun - talk about what you've read.
- Promote healthy habits. Make sure your child gets plenty of sleep, exercise, and starts each day with a healthy breakfast.
- Be a role model. Your child learns from you. Be positive about education and show you enjoy learning.
- Encourage independence. Allow your child to make mistakes and learn to accept their consequences. Give your child responsibilities, such as household chores.
- Create a study routine. Set a time and quiet place for your child to work every day. Go over homework together.
- Get involved. Meet with your child's teacher, attend school events and help out at school if you can.
- Build success. Encourage positive self-talk. Help raise your child's self esteem by setting reachable goals and praising your child's efforts.
- Make school a priority. Insist on good attendance and punctuality.
Here’s to another exciting year!
Principal, Stone Ranch Elementary