Sibling Loyalty NOT Sibling Rivalry
While small doses of sibling rivalry are surely normal, let’s start the new year focusing on the unique and wonderful bond that is often present between siblings.
As parents, here are some tips on how we can encourage a warm life-long friendship between our children:
- Spend quality one-on-one time with each child individually. Encourage the whole family to value each child’s unique personality.
- Celebrate each others’ successes and lend support during tough times.
- Do not allow one child to excessively dominate another. Encourage healthy conflict resolution skills.
- Teach children how to respect each others’ boundaries, and at the same time, encourage sharing and empathy.
- Instill a “We’re in this together.” attitude in your family.
- Encourage your children to do small unexpected favors for each other.
- Model healthy relationships between you and your siblings.
Here at school, it’s heart-warming to see an older brother or sister place a protective arm around his/her younger sibling’s shoulder on the way to the parking lot or to see them bend down and help with a heavy backpack. It gives me hope for the future and an assurance that we’re all going to be okay.
Jackie Cardinale/Counselor - email@example.com
Molly Engblom/Counselor - firstname.lastname@example.org
Janice McFarland/Student Support Services - email@example.com