Sidia Martinez, Principal
- Mon. – Thurs. 8:00 a.m. – 2:20 p.m; Fri. 8:00 a.m. – 12:40 p.m. (line-up bell rings at 7:55 a.m./school begins at 8:00 a.m.)
Office hours -
Monday–Thursday: 7:30 a.m.–3:30 p.m; Friday: 7:30 a.m.– 1:30 p.m.
– Join us in front of the school on Monday, August 15th
to find out who your child’s teacher will be. Class assignments will be listed outside our front gate at 4:00 p.m., and will also be posted on the front windows of the administration building.
TK/Kindergarten “Meet and Greet” -
Please save Monday, August 15th from 3:15 – 4:00 p.m.
(immediately following the New Student Orientation) for you and your child to meet your Kindergarten teacher and get acquainted with the classroom. Please meet in your child’s classroom.
Orientation and School Tours for New Families
– Orientation will be held on Mon. August 15th
at 2:15 p.m. in our multipurpose room (MPR), and include tours (including for Kindergarten families) hosted by students and our PTA.
First day of school
- Tuesday, August 16, 2015. If your child must be absent on that day, please call the school at 858-748-0047 to account for the absence and confirm your intent to attend school at Midland. Unconfirmed absences on the first day of school may result in the district dropping your student from attendance at Midland.
– Please call the school attendance hotline at 858-748-0047 ext. 2112 if your child will be absent from school. State law requires that attendance be verified. A tardy of greater than 30 minutes is recorded as an absence and must also be verified by a phone call to our hotline.
- Each grade level has listed supplies that will be used during this school year. Please hover over the “General Information” link on the left side of our webpage and then click on “Supply Lists” to see recommended supplies for your child’s grade level.
Kindergarten Transition Days
- ***To ease your child’s transition into a full-day Kindergarten program, all Kindergarten students will be dismissed at 12:00 p.m. through Friday, September 25, 2016. Students will experience their first full day (2:20 p.m. dismissal) on Monday, September 28th
. ESS (see below) may be available if you require afternoon childcare during the transition days.
Before School Supervision
- The playground will be open to students in the morning beginning at 7:40 a.m. No supervision on the playground or in front of the school is provided prior to that time. Please ensure your child’s safety by not arriving at school prior to 7:40 a.m.
We respectfully request that parents do not accompany students into the inner quad or to their classrooms. An important part of your child’s learning is to gain confidence and independence. School provides a safe environment to develop these skills and also supports their transition to a learning mindset for the day.
- Once students arrive on campus, they may not leave without being signed out in the school office by a parent or other authorized person. To ensure the safety of your child, you or the authorized person may be asked to show identification when picking up your child. Beyond your child’s initial registration paperwork, you may add an authorized person for pick-up at any time by coming to the school office to provide and verify information. In the interest of your child’s safety, we cannot accept telephone calls to add an authorized person
. All visitors must check in at the front office prior to entering the school.
Visitation and Volunteers
- Parents are always welcome and encouraged to visit and help in the classroom. Visits should be scheduled with the teacher ahead of time. We welcome volunteers to help support teachers and enrich the lives of students. Volunteers may work directly with children in classrooms, or on a variety of other tasks or projects requested by teachers or related to PTA or MEF. ***You must have the Megan’s Law Clearance, proof of a current TB test (negative reading), and a signed “Volunteer Code of Conduct” form on file in the office in order to do any work with students or accompaniment of students.
- Students have the option of buying lunch at school. Please prepay if possible. You may drop off lunch money in the office (please seal cash/check in an envelope with your student’s information), or you can pre-pay on www.myschoolbucks.com
. Lunch, which includes milk, is served daily in the cafeteria for $3.00. Breakfast is also served for $2.00. Free and Reduced-priced meals are available for those who qualify. If you are interested in this please pick up an application in the school office or go to the district website at www.powayusdnutrition.com
. A new application must be submitted every school year.
If your child will bring a lunch, please have the student’s name and room number on the sack or lunch box. Lunches brought after the school day begins will be kept at the office for students to pick up at lunchtime.
Medications at School
- If your child takes medication during the day, a “Physician’s Recommendation for Medication” form must be obtained from the school, completed by the physician, and returned to the school. No medication will be given at school without this form. An adult must bring the medication to the School Office in the original container in which the medication is dispensed. For their safety and the safety of others, children may never have medication in their possession at school. This includes aspirin, inhalers, cough drops, etc.
– Riding a bicycle or scooter is limited to children in grades 3, 4, and 5 and requires a permit from the school office. Each child must wear a helmet and provide a lock for his/her bike or scooter, which may be placed inside a gated bicycle area. Skateboards, roller shoes, and rollerblades are not permitted on campus and should be left at home.
– Traffic and parking before and after school requires planning and patience. Traffic is most problematic between 7:50 – 8:00 a.m. Therefore dropping your child closer to 7:40 when parking lot and playground supervision becomes available may reduce some of the traffic you will need to face. Please follow instructions from parking lot supervisors, pull up as far as possible, and instruct your child to immediately exit the car on the side closest to the sidewalk. Waiting until this time to give your child lunch money, get items from the trunk, or give your child last minute instructions can cause traffic delays. Please be considerate of the families in cars behind you and park in a designated spot if you require more time with your child.
– School dismisses at 2:20 p.m. Mon.-Thursday and 12:40 p.m. on Friday. We respectfully request prompt pick up of your Kindergarten - 2nd
grade child at the classroom. Grades 3-5 students should be picked up at the front of the school, or outside the Edgemoor St. gate. Students left anywhere on school grounds after dismissal will need to be signed out and picked up inside the front office. Please consider the after school professional obligations of teachers and staff to prepare next day’s learning, and be prompt. If you are unable to arrive punctually for pick-up you may enroll your child in our wonderful ESS program (see below).
– Extended Student Services is a fee-based before and after school childcare program. ESS is open from 6:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m., daily. All students planning to participate in ESS must register at the ESS building. Please call our ESS Supervisor, Janet Homan, at 858-748-4905, for information regarding registration and fees.