Morning Creek Running Club: We Run for Fun!
Begins on MONDAY SEPTEMBER 21st.
Students in Grades 1-5 are invited to join us on the lower field at 8:25am for our first run! Kindergarten students may also join as long as they have a parent with them. The morning sessions are crowded with a lot of older kids and we want to keep the little ones safe! Kindergarten students will begin recess sessions the first Monday in November.
Running Club t-shirts will be available for purchase for $15 by the back fence during morning running sessions. The last day for shirt sales will be the second week in October. Cash or check will be accepted, however checks are preferred and should be made out to Morning Creek PTA. Running Club shirts are not required for participation but are a great way to recognize runners meeting their goals!
Download and sign the Running Club rules
What is Running Club and when is it held?
Morning Creek Running Club is a fun, voluntary activity for students in Grades 1 - 5 that is offered on Mondays and Wednesdays, before school at 8:25 and at recess. In the event of a Monday or Wednesday schedule conflict, we will run on Friday. See the Morning Creek School Calendar for a complete list of dates. Kindergarten students will begin running the first Monday in November. Running Club is brought to you through the compassion of our Morning Creek PTA. Our new shoe tag system was funded by the generosity of the Morning Creek Foundation! This new system will save valuable time for teachers and volunteers so they can focus on the education and safety of your children. We ask that each student and parent review and sign the running club rules sheet that will be provided. This will help the students understand the expectations and allow them to earn the incentives provided by running club. We encourage the Morning Creek Character Pillars. Morning Creek is part of the No Excuses University. These guidelines apply at Running Club as well as on the school campus.
How Does it Work?
This year we very excited to roll out our new shoe tag system which will replace our manual popsicle stick method! The week before running club starts, each student will receive a unique shoe tag that will be distributed by their teacher. For each running session, parent volunteers set up a 1/4 mile running loop on the lower field. The students will lineup before the starting mat, where the volunteers direct them. The lead volunteer will blow the whistle to start the session. The participants must cross the mat to start counting their laps. As a student completes each lap by subsequently crossing the mat, he/she receives a quarter mile credit. The students complete as many laps as possible during the allotted time. With the new system, the laps will be tallied automatically. Volunteers will keep a running total throughout the year of each participant. Volunteers will also provide each teacher with a monthly report of student miles earned.
Why run with Morning Creek Running Club?
Running is healthy and fun! We encourage a friendly atmosphere where students work together to meet personal and class goals. Students are recognized for their running accomplishments; both individually and as a class. Accomplishments will be recognized in many ways such as toe tokens for 5-mile intervals, checkmarks on running club t-shirts for 25-mile intervals, monthly classroom awards, 100-mile awards, and end-of-year awards to each student who runs over 50 miles during the school year.
Other Important Information:
- Morning Running Club begins at 8:25 am. Students can enter the school from the front gates or from the lower field. The school does not allow students on campus prior to 8:25 am. Volunteers must setup the pathway and survey the field to remove any hazards. We ask that you do not enter the field unless the volunteers have given the go ahead. Be sure not to leave your child unattended at the back gate if it has not been opened by a school official or volunteer.
- Morning runs will be approximately 12 minutes. Recess runs will be approximately 10 minutes.
- Parents are WELCOME to join their children at running club! If you’d like a nice run, join the students. If you would like to support the program but not run, please contact Chris Smith at email@example.com to become one of our wonderful volunteers! Volunteering is easy and fun! Try it out!!
- Younger siblings may run before school, but only if a parent is present on the field with the child and the volunteers deem it safe. These children may see a volunteer after the session to receive a sticker for their “Star Runner” sheet!
- In the case of a lost shoe tag, replacement tags will be made available for $5 cash or check made out to Morning Creek PTA. This is our way of encouraging the students to maintain responsibility for their tags.
- Running Club t-shirts will be available to everyone for purchase. These t-shirts will help fund the program, encourage participation, and provide a new way of recognizing runner’s achievements.
- We do not distribute awards to top runners; we distribute awards to all runners that reach certain milestone goals. Running Club strives to maintain a friendly atmosphere where students support each other. We will have runners that reach 50, 100 and even 200 miles in just one year! Students earn a “toe token” to add to their chain for every five miles they run up to 20 miles. At 25 miles and beyond, they will receive a “milestone token” for each 25 miles. We also checkmark the 100-mile t-shirts as students earn each milestone throughout the year. Our focus at Running Club is having fun and achieving personal goals! We use these incentives to encourage personal achievement.
- In the case of inclement weather or any other safety concern, Running Club will be cancelled. If the grass is too wet or the dirt is muddy, our lower field becomes very slippery. For the safety of our students, Running Club will be cancelled. If you aren’t sure about conditions, come by the lower field and see if the cones are set up. If there are no cones, head on into the school and enjoy being early to class. Please check our school website or Facebook page for any updates to the Running Club Schedule. You can also be added to our Running Club information email list by sending your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kindergarten students will begin Running Club the first Monday in November.
- We run for fun!! Students are still allowed to run without their shoe tag, but will only receive credit for their laps with the shoe tag. However, loaner shoe tags will be available in the morning if they forget to bring their tag. Only 10 loaner tags will be available on a first come, first served basis each morning and will count the student's lap credit for that day ONLY. The loaner shoe tag must be checked out by the student or parent. They must provide the running club volunteer with the student's name and teacher's name. They must return the shoe tag to the lead volunteer on the field at the end of the recess session that same day. If not returned, they will not be allowed to receive another loaner tag.
- Please be respectful and follow the volunteer’s directions. Our volunteers are also parents who want to ensure the safety of everyone in order to keep this a fun and friendly experience.
- If you have any questions, please contact Chris Smith (Running Club Chair and Morning Creek parent) at email@example.com. We hope to see you at Running Club!
Is Running Club a coached track team?
No, Running Club is a fun, voluntary PTA Program provided for the students of Morning Creek.
I'm not much of a runner. Can I still participate in Running Club?
Of course you can participate! Running Club is open to anyone who would like to complete a lap. We have plenty of walkers at Running Club. Everyone is welcome!
What does it cost to be in Running Club?
There is no cost for students to participate. Morning Creek PTA will generously fund all expenses of the Running Club program.
When are the classroom awards distributed?
Classroom awards are presented at the first Friday Flag of the month. There is always quite a rivalry between classrooms of each grade to see who will win the coveted trophy and stuffed colt. Parents are encouraged to attend.
What is a Toe Token and how are they earned?
A Toe Token is a little plastic foot that is awarded for every 5 miles that a student runs up to 20 miles. At 25 miles and beyond, students will receive a Number Token for 25 mile milestones. Student runners will receive a chain with their first toe token and will then collect Tokens throughout the school year. The Tokens are presented to students in the classroom by their teacher. Most students display their Toe Tokens on their backpack.
How can I get a running club shirt?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
Will the miles I run in kids races, 5K's, and triathlons count towards my Running Club miles? Although we support all physical activities outside of Running Club, only miles run at school during Running Club runs will be counted towards Running Club totals. Some exceptions do apply: Jog-a-Thon laps, Finish Chelsea's Run 5K, and the Cross Country Mile event run as part of the Morning Creek team will be included in Running Club miles.
How can parents help?
Volunteers are always welcomed and needed! We need volunteers to help keep an eye on the kids to make sure they stay safe as well as encourage and cheer them on. It is fun to come down to the lower field at recess after helping in your child's classroom. We also have many other small jobs to help facilitate the program. If you would like to help, please contact Chris Smith at email@example.com.
When will I know if Running Club is cancelled due to rain?
The final decision to cancel Running Club due to rain will be made after a volunteer has been to the field to examine the field's safety conditions. All volunteers are also parents, so we don't get to the field until 10-minutes before Running Club begins. Therefore, you won’t know until you get to the field to see if the cones are set up or not. If Running Club has been cancelled, students are welcome to come onto campus and enjoy some free time before school begins.