Gates and School Safety: Student safety is a priority at Deer Canyon Elementary. The gates will be locked daily from 8:00 am- 1:45 pm and on Friday 9:15 am.
Remember to sign in and out in the office if you are planning to volunteer during the day. Please remind your children that NO
student may leave the school grounds during the school day without first being signed out through the office.
ARRIVAL TO SCHOOL
- Students should not arrive at school in the morning before 7:25 a.m. (no adult supervision)
- Students may not go through the halls.
- Students should take all books and other items with them to the playground, not to their classroom.
- Students should put their belongings on their classroom line up area. The first bell sounds at 7:40 a.m. School begins promptly at 7:45 a.m. Monday - Thursday, and 9:00 a.m. on Friday.
- Students are expected to be in their seats ready to learn at this time.
- Students arriving after7:45a.m., must come to the office to sign in and pick up a late slip before going to class.
If it is raining when students arrive at school, they may go directly to the MPR.
Once students arrive at school, they may not leave the campus or playground during school hours without permission from the office. Students must be checked out in the office by a parent or guardian.
During school, students are asked to:
- walk quietly through the halls.
- not to disturb classes at work.
- not to “cut-through” the library to come out another door.
- not to bounce balls in the halls or against the walls of the school.
DISMISSAL FROM SCHOOL
At dismissal time, parents should meet their children in front of school or a designated area on campus. Kindergarten-TK parents should pick up their children from the kindergarten playground area. Parents should NOT meet their children inside the school or by their classroom, as it is a distraction to the learning environment and blocks the hallways significantly. Please be respectful of students learning time.
When walking to and from school it is important for students to follow all traffic rules. When coming to or leaving school, students should always stay on the crosswalks and sidewalks. At no time is it safe to walk or run through the parking lot. At no time should students play in the front areas of the school which include the flagpole areas, cement planters, parking lot, and inner courtyard. Unsupervised playground activities should NOT occur before or after school hours.
Parents are reminded to obey all parking lot guidelines to ensure safety in the parking lot for all students.
Parents driving students to and from school should adhere to the parking lot procedure for dropping off and picking up students. Parents/Guardians may wait along the Deer Canyon driveway in their vehicle, but may not leave their vehicle unattended. Please do not double park and ask your child to run between cars for loading. Please pull to the curb closest to the school for loading and unloading.
We understand that occasionally emergencies occur and parents are late to pick-up their child. To insure safe supervision of all students, children left unattended after 2:15 pm will be taken to the office.
Unattended vehicles parked along the driveway will receive a parking citation. There is no parking allowed in the red zones at any time.
Parents driving students to and from school should follow the procedures of state law. Please do not let your child out of the car until you are stopped at the edge of the curb. Please abide by the directions of our wonderful volunteers and staff. They are working hard to ensure safety of our children. Cars in the Deer Canyon driveway should never be left unattended at any time.
Pedestrians should cooperate with the Student Safety Patrol and Parking Patrol, demonstrating good citizenship and safety practices for our students.
PARKING LOT ETIQUETTE
PARKING IN THE PARKING LOT
- Please drive slowly.
- Follow the Golden Rule with other drivers and staff members. Remember that you are not the only one in a hurry.
- Please do NOT get out of the car to assist or escort your child.
- Pull up close to the car in front of you.
- Please refrain from using cell phones while driving in the parking lot.
- Buses have priority. Please be cognizant of their presence and try to make their entrance and exit as easy as possible.
Thanks for your cooperation! Remember -- Courtesy is Contagious!
- Please do not park in the reserved spaces.
- Park in one of the parking spaces, not in the traffic flow area at any time of the day.
- If you park in the red zone or in the handicapped parking and leave your vehicle, you are likely to be ticketed by the San Diego Police Department.
Roller Blading (including shoes with built-in wheels):
- Bicycle riding is allowed for 3rd through 5th grade students. Permission slips are available in the office.
- Bicyclists are required to wear safety helmets.
- Bicycles are to be walked on school grounds. School grounds include, but are not limited to the Deer Canyon driveway and parking lot.
- Bicycles need to be walked to designated area and locked to the bike racks prior to the start of school.
- Bicycle riders need to ride in a safe manner. Bicycle privileges will be revoked from anyone who is not riding safely to and from school.
- Skateboards, motorized scooters, roller blades and other shoes with wheels are notpermitted as a means of traveling to or from school.
- Tennis shoes with wheels are not allowed on campus.
• No rollerblades, razors, scooters, skateboards or motorized scooters are allowed on campus.
for more detailed information.
VISITORS AND VOLUNTEERS
Board Policy 4.415 prohibits volunteers on campus until they have completed a Megan's Law background check and had a TB Skin Test. All visitors and cleared volunteers must report to the school office, sign-in, and wear a badge/nametag while on campus. The PTA keeps track of volunteer hours and reports them to Palomar Council. If you are planning on volunteering and have not completed the proper paperwork, please contact the school office and remember that you may not volunteer until this is completed.