Thirteen times a year (once or twice a month), a team of highly qualified and trained Poway teachers will arrive at Deer Canyon to teach grade‐level lessons in Physical Education, visual and performing arts (VAPA), science / technology / engineering / arts / mathematics (STEaM), and Coding. The X‐Ploration student time will be one hour and 45 minutes with the X‐Ploration teacher while the Deer Canyon teachers are released to collaborate in grade level teams. The time with the X‐Ploration teacher will begin in the regular classroom and then different activities will take the students to the field, MPR, and/or computer lab. Your child will get to know his/her X‐Ploration teacher because each teacher is assigned to a specific classroom for the whole year.
Why this new program?
Meet District LCAP goals in…
1. Supporting high quality teachers in their implementation of standards‐based curriculum, instruction, and
2. Create systems and structures that provide multiple pathways of learning and engagement…
3. Strengthen and maintain a safe, healthy, positive and attractive learning environment for all learners.
4. Increase parent and student engagement in learning though involvement in the education of our students.
5. Develop, implement, and embed collaboration learning structure and system for adults and students to
increase student achievement.
Eleven of Deer Canyon’s X‐Ploration Days will be on a Tuesday and two on a Monday. Our first X‐Ploration
day is Tuesday, September 6. The second is Tuesday, September 27. Recess and lunch schedules will be
unique on these days.