Gates and School Safety
Student safety is a priority at Chaparral Elementary.
The gates will be locked daily from 9:10 am- 3:15 pm.
Remember to sign in and out in the office if you are planning to volunteer during the day. Please remind your children that NO
student may leave the school grounds during the school day without first being signed out through the office.
Arrival to School
- Students should not arrive to school in the morning before 8:40 a.m. (no adult supervision)
- Students may not go through the halls.
- Students should take all books and other items with them to the playground, not to their classroom.
- Students should put their belongings on their classroom line up area. School begins promptly at 9:00 a.m.
- Students are expected to be in their seats ready to learn at this time.
- Students arriving after the 9:00 a.m. tardy bell, must come to the office for a late slip before going to class.
If it is raining when students arrive at school, they go directly to the MPR.
Once students arrive at school, they may not leave the campus or playground during school hours without permission from the office. Students must be checked out in the office by a parent or guardian.
During school, students are asked to:
- walk quietly through the halls so
- not to disturb classes at work.
- not to “cut-through” the library to come out another door.
- not to bounce balls in the halls or against the walls of the school.
Dismissal from School
At dismissal time, parents should meet their children by the flagpole in front of school or the designated area in the Cul-de-sac. Kindergarten-TK parents should pick up their children from the kindergarten playground area in front of the TK room. Parents should NOT meet their children inside the school or by their classroom, as it is a distraction to the learning environment and blocks the hall ways significantly. Please be respectful of students learning time.
Safety to and from School
When walking to and from school it is important for students to follow all traffic rules. When coming to or leaving school, students should always stay on the crosswalks and sidewalks. At no time is it safe to walk or run through the parking lot. At no time should students play in the front areas of the school which include the flagpole areas, cement planters, parking lot, and inner courtyard. Unsupervised playground activities should NOT occur before or after school hours.
Parents are reminded to obey all parking lot guidelines to ensure safety in the parking lot for all students. The front parking lot is for staff parking only.
All parents and volunteers are to park on Tannin Drive. Never leave your car unattended at the curb, and no double parking please.
Parents driving students to and from school should adhere to the parking lot procedure for dropping off and picking up students. Parents/Guardians should park on Tannin and walk in to pick up their children. ONLY THOSE DISPLAYING A CHAPARRAL ISSUED PLACARD ON THEIR Rear view MIRROR WILL BE ALLOWED TO PARK IN THE FRONT PARKING LOT. THIS PARKING LOT IS FOR STAFF ONLY
We understand that occasionally emergencies occur and parents are late to pick-up their child. To insure safe supervision of all students, children not picked up on time will wait in the office. The office needs to be notified when you will be late picking up your child.
Unattended vehicles parked in yellow zones will receive a parking citation. There is no parking allowed in the red zones at any time.
Parking Lot Etiquette
PARKING IN THE PARKING LOT
- Please drive slowly.
- Follow the Golden Rule with other drivers and staff members. Remember that you are not the only one in a hurry.
- Please do NOT get out of the car to assist or escort your child.
- Pull up close to the car in front of you.
- Please refrain from using cell phones or texting while driving.
- Busses have priority. Please be cognizant of their presence and try to make their entrance and exit as easy as possible.
Thanks for your cooperation! Remember -- Courtesy is Contagious!
- Chaparral's front and back parking lots are for staff only, please park on Tannin Drive.
- If you park in the red zone or in the handicapped parking and leave your vehicle, you are likely to be ticketed by the Poway Sherriff's Department.
Only students in grades 3, 4, and 5 may ride a bicycle to school. Children must wear a helmet, provide a lock for the bicycle, and follow safety rules/laws. A permission form, obtained from the office, must be completed and on file with the office for students who wish to ride their bikes to school. Bikes must be walked once on school grounds. No rollerblades, razors, scooters, skateboards or motorized scooters are allowed on campus.
- Bicycle riding is allowed for 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students. Permission slips are available in the office.
- Bicyclists are required to wear safety helmets.
- Bicycles need to be walked to designated area and locked to the bike racks prior to the start of school.
- Bicycle riders need to ride in a safe manner. Bicycle privileges will be revoked from anyone who is not riding safely to and from school.
- Skateboards, motorized scooters, roller blades and other shoes with wheels are not permitted as a means of traveling to or from school.
- Tennis shoes with wheels are not allowed on campus.
(including shoes with built-in wheels) and skateboarding are not allowed on campus at any time.
Visitors and Volunteers
Board Policy 4.415 prohibits volunteers on campus until they have completed a Megan's Law; background check and have a TB Skin Test on file in the office, before you volunteer. All visitors and cleared volunteers must report to the school office, sign-in, and wear a badge/nametag while on campus. The PTA keeps track of volunteer hours and reports them to Palomar Council. If you are planning on volunteering and have not completed the proper paperwork, please contact the Office and remember that you may not volunteer until this is completed. SEE Volunteers
page for forms/details.